Monday, September 28, 2009

What if Mommy is a bigger baby than the baby?

James had his four month appointment today. Second round of vaccines. James loved them just as much as he loved the first round, which was not at all. I have spent my entire life harboring an intense dislike for needles. Shots make my insides squirm. I thought it would get better in the last year, being poked a couple of times in the hospital when I delivered James, drawing blood for life insurance purposes, drawing blood for a couple of doctor's visits while pregnant...I figured I would get used to it after having it done so many times within a nine month period. All I have to say is GROSSEEWYUCKAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. That is generally what runs through my mind at various times in the 24 hour period leading up to a shot for me. Still. Ben has been sweet enough to sacrifice his hand to my nervous deathgrip on more than one occasion so that I have something to hold on to during a shot. (I love him.) It's entirely mental. I don't think they hurt, they just make me want to run away.

When James got his first round of vaccines Ben was able to be there so I got to hold James right after the shots were over and didn't have to see them. This time I went in on my own, determined to suck it up. We got the first part of his appointment done, which included James peeing all over the examination table as if to say, "I know whats coming and this is how I feel about it..." Then it came time for his vaccines, and the next thing I knew they were over and I was able to pick him up and comfort him. To be honest, I still couldn't actually watch the needles, I just held his arms out of the way and kissed his little forehead while he cried though them. However, I was right there holding him while she stuck him. I know that sounds pathetic, but I'm not joking...I hate shots. For me, it was amazing. So BOOYAH GRANDMA! I just have to laugh because I'm realizing over and over that in certain situations it's the baby raising the mommy. Here's to James, for helping his sissy-pants mom get over something she's always been terrified of. And he's only four months old, I wonder what he'll be teaching me by six months? :)

As of today, James is in the 90th percentile for both weight and height and 75th percentile for head circumference. He's getting so big, its rediculous. I love watching every minute of it.

Here's a video Ben took yesterday of James giving some very manly giggles. Enjoy!
video

7 comments:

  1. Rebekah if it makes you feel any better I am a wimp when it comes to shots. I HATE them and blood draws are the worst! Kaylin is 20 months old and when we went in for her flu shot last week I HATED every second of it. I just hold her hands and tell her it is okay and I know that it hurts. Then I get to hold and cuddle her and before we leave the room she has stopped crying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried when Nathan got his shots the first time, I almost puked on his 2 month visit, and for his 4 month I closed my eyes and squeezed Chris's hand for support. I tell myself it means I'm a good mom- that makes me feel better when I pitifully try to hide my tears from the nurses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww what a cutie! I love baby smiles & giggles!!! We go in soon for our little miss's first shots... gulp. Your story inspired me Rebekah! Good job!! I hope I can be brave like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HE IS TOO CUTE!!!! I'm so excited that he can laugh now, I bet you all have so much fun with that. I'm excited to see what personality he has when we come out for Christmas. I want a babyyyy!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avery got her 2 month shots on Monday. Emily teared up. I yelped and grabbed her as soon as the DR was finished. She was tough though ... she calmed down after a minute or two. Although, I have never heard her cry like that and I am not excited for the next visit ... :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute (*cough* manly) giggles. :) And shots are hard!! I'm way impressed. And aww haha that's funny/sad that he peed all over the doctor's table. I'm sure he wasn't the first. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw you are such a cute little mommy! He really is adorable!

    ReplyDelete